Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Real Relationship pt 1

I hope if you've been reading the last couple blog posts I may have convinced you to go out and buy the Forgotten God book for yourself... I am in no way able to explain fully and share enough of the book to get the real message across. God has used Francis Chan in amazing ways and sharing God's message in this book is one of them!
Chapter 5 is all about God's incredible, indescribable love for us and His desire to have a real relationship with us.
"theres nothing better than being absolutely sure that the most powerful Being in the universe adores you as His own child. This is precisely the confidence the Holy Spirit offers us."
"Though I do not believe God gives us His Spirit solely for our personal benefit, it undeniable that one of the greatest aspects of being in relationship with the Holy Spirit is the intimacy, security, and encouragement He brings us. It is when we can serve God as a beloved child rather than a stressed out, guilt ridden slave."

2 things Fancis Chan mentions that can get in the way of being intimate with God and the Holy Spirit is being too comfortable and life being too loud. both of which I know get in the way for me!
"it is those who put their lives at risk and suffer for the gospel (Phil 1:29) who will most often experience His being 'with you always, even to the end of the age' (Matthew 28:20)" "The Bible says that the Spirit comes through in situations where we would normally be afraid (Luke 12:11-12)"
Chan shares a story about some missionaries who were imprisoned and how they never felt closer to God then in that time and how they desire to go back to that! I can recall several times in my life when I was scared, doing what I knew God was wanting me to do even though it meant having no friends at one instance, no boyfriend for a period of time, and while I was in China as a missionary for the Summer- to name a few.. I felt closer and had a more intimate relationship with Christ during those times than any other- I was leaning solely on Him because He was all I had! Sadly being comfortable has a way of taking away that dependence on Him

"Our lack of intimacy often is due to our refusal to unplug and shut off communications from all others so we can be alone with Him" (Mark 1:35)
"I don't know exactly what it will look like for you to be still before the Lord. But I do know that no matter what your personality it is a spiritual discipline to be still, to listen, and to cut out the distraction and din of our world. And as we practice this stillness, this waiting, this being, it is then that we can experience deep intimacy and relationship with the Holy Spirit"

No comments:

Post a Comment