Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Followers or Leaders?

I am almost always going through a book or a study during my personal time with the Lord because well that is the only way I can stay focused and go deeper than flipping through my bible reading random Scriptures... its just the way I work....
Right now our Sunday School class is going through the book 'Forgotten God' by Francis Chan. It is so good and is kicking my butt! Which is what is leading me to start this new blog. I wanted to post a quote on facebook but there was way too many quotes to share! My prayer is that I can share what Christ is teaching me personally and by sharing it through here it may speak to at least one other person as well... Im not sure how often I will post and what it will be about but I believe Im being obedient and praying this is helpful to you as much as it is me.

Im already on Chapter 4 and theres been so many other things in the previous chapters I wish I could go back and share with you but I think you all should go out and get this book... it is really challenging because Francis Chan just says it how it is... and in my opinion he is right on. The section from chapter 4 in today's study is titled 'Followers or Leaders?' Pretty much the entire blog post will just be quotes that I underlined as I was reading and praying this morning because theres nothing I can add to it.

"Desiring the Holy Spirit means we allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. By definition, it is ridiculous to desire the Holy Spirit for our own purposes."
"the Spirit is not a passive power that we can wield as we choose. The SPIRIT IS GOD, a Being who requires that we submit ourselves to be led by Him. Do we really want to be led?"
"I honestly believe that most os us-while we might say we want to be led by the Spirit- are actually scared of this reality"
"the fact is God is calling. The Spirit is beckoning. The real question is will you follow? Will you listen"
"The truly startling thought is that by not submitting and totally trusting the Holy Spirit, I am not submitting to or trusting God. this is not a small matter."

The next quotes are about considering and thinking about if you are called to be Where God has you at this very moment. These questions and comments might be what hit me the hardest since I as Im sure many others believe we are where God wants us to be.

"Maybe you are called to be where you live-But If you say you are called to be in the place you are , a few questions need to be considered.-
What would your church (and the worldwide church) look like if everyone was as committed as you are? if everyone gave and served and prayed exactly like you, would the church be healthy and empowered? or would it be weak and listless?"
"Do I believe the church needs me like a body needs a mouth"

"As part of the Spirit's work through us for the 'common good' He empowers us to be His witnesses. If you are a teacher, have you thought about how you impact the students in your classes? if you are a coach, what sort of influence do you have on your team? What about other coaches you interact with?"
Big star next to this paragraph in my book- "If you are a businessperson, how do you conduct yourself towards your customers and co workers? Do they see a person who lives according to the Way of Jesus or someone who does business according to the capitalistic and self-centered standards, just like everyone else? If you are a stay at home mom, how are you forming your children into lovers of Jesus? How are you reaching out and ministering to the neighbors God has placed around you?" Can I say OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"He didn't call you there so you could settle in and live out your life in comfort and superficial peace. His purposes are not random or arbitrary. He has something for you to do. He placed us on this earth for purposes that He orchestrated long before we were born (Eph 2:8-10)"
"Do you believe you exist not for your own pleasure but to help people know the love of Jesus and to come fully alive in Him?"

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!!! Just reading these notes from this book makes me want to go get this book tonight!

    ReplyDelete