Friday, July 30, 2010

Forget about His Will for your life

I just got done reading just the intro to the 6th chapter of Forgotten God...I couldn't go any further- even though it was extremely good and I cant wait to continue reading to see what all he has to say.. but I was afraid I wouldn't internalize it if I kept going and get too much info in my head.
This intro screams at my heart because I know I'm so so guilty of it but i don't know that I have ever heard it put this way before-

a little warning: i underlined almost the entire intro-yeah-its that heavy!

"And to expose our hearts to truth and consistently refuse or neglect to obey the impulses it arouses is to stymie the motions of life within us and, if persisted in, to grieve the Holy Spirit into silence." A.W. Tozer

"How many times have you heard someone say, "I just wish I knew God's will for my life?" (I'm soooooo guilty) "I know Ive longed for this before. But now I see it as a misguided way of thinking and talking" (Intrigued? you should be!)

"Few people in scripture received their life plan from God in advance. Consider Abraham, who was told to pack up his family and all his possessions and start walking. He didn't know where he was going. He didn't know if he would ever be back. He didn't know any of the details we consider vital-his destination, how long the venture would take, what the costs/rewards would be whether he'd receive a 401k or health insurance. GOD SAID TO GO AND HE WENT, AND THATS PRETTY MUCH ALL HE KNEW."
"I think a lot of need to forget about 'God's will for my life'. God cares more about our response to His Spirit's leading today, in this moment, than about what we intend to do next year. In fact, the decisions we make next year will be profoundly affected by the degree to which we submit to the Spirit right now, in today's decisions"
"Its much less demanding to think about God's will for your future than it is to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. Its safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day"
"We forget that we were never promised a twenty-year plan of action; instead, God promises multiple times in Scripture never to leave or forsake us."

In a way this truth is encouraging and comforting to accept that God might not/most likely wont reveal our life plan to us... we can stop stressing over it- day to day trusting Him to lead us but the hard part in my opinion is asking what He wants each day, throughout the day and following and obeying. to be honest- it scares me more to ask 'what do You want me to do right now' when I've got a list in my head of things I need to get to in the next few minutes-such as paying some bills, finishing up an order, checking my mail... He gently reminded me that He is more important and those things can wait.. He always has my best interest in mind and if I sincerely want to walk intimately with Him and be used by Him then it calls for day to day, throughout the day seeking "who can I love for You today, or right now', 'what would You like me to do right now'


"My hope is that instead of searching for 'God's will for my life' each of us would learn to seek hard after 'the Spirit's leading in my life today.' May we learn to pray for an open and willing heart, to surrender to the Spirit's leading with that friend, child, spouse, circumstance, or decision in our lives right now."

1 comment:

  1. Meegan,
    I downloaded this book as a free audio book from a website and I've listened to the first bit. It is truly as impactful as you have said, but I've realized that I'm not a good auditory processor and I need to get this one in paper or at least electronically in print. These lessons are timely in my life. Thanks for posting your journey.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete