Tuesday, October 19, 2010

giving

Man- its been a while.... I knew I had been neglecting this blog but I didnt realize it had been over a month-Ill be honest theres been quite a few times that I felt led to do a post but I let work come before time after time! plus- the chapters have been pretty harsh on me- and that naturally makes me want to run and not think about it more than i have to- which is wrong but Im human!
One of the main points that God has been convicting me and challenging me with is the act of giving- not just money but also time and of myself... but the money thing is what gets me the most! Especially this last chapter-chapter 7 titled 'Your Best Life...Later'
I know first hand that God provides more than enough when you trust Him and have only Him to depend on-when Aydin was born Chris changed jobs to be home more-took a 30,000 a yr pay cut and I quit working to stay home! it was tight- but God provided and we got through it and adjusted... Now money isnt so tight and its nice-just being honest- its nice not to have to stress over bills and feel the freedom to buy a toy for Aydin when I see something he would like, or buy me a few more shirts for work purposes without stressing and arguing over not having money to do certain things... its nice!! But I want the DESIRE to choose to help others and give more than I can afford to give to in return have His closeness and miraculous provision when there seems to be no way. I found myself yesterday just giving up on in my head thinking I need to try harder... and just praying for His desire to be put in me- I dont desire those things but I want to desire them... and that desire and ability to do so can only come from Him... its not in me in and of myself- I need Christ to put that desire and give me the ability to give beyond myself.

quotes from Chapter 7
"these people were far from perfect, yet they had faith in God who was able to come through in seemingly dire situations."
"having faith often means doing what others see as crazy."
"Christians today like to play it safe. We want to put ourselves in situations where we are safe 'even if there is no God" But if we truly desire to please God, we cannot live that way. We have to do things that cost us during our life on earth but will be more than worth is in eternity."

"John clearly tells us that 'whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did' (i john 2:6) Are you ready and willing to make yourself nothing? to take the very nature of a servant.

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

How would my life change if I actually thought of each person I came into contact with as Christ?

true love requires sacrifice. and our love is shown by how we live our lives. "let us not love with word or tongue but with actions and in truth."

one of the clearest ways we love 'with actions and in truth' is through giving to others.

As we love more genuinely and deeply, giving becomes the obvious and natural response. Taking and keeping for ourselves becomes unattractive and imprudent.

We are loaded down with too many good things, more than we could ever need, while others are desperate for a small loaf. The good things we cling to are more than money; we hoard our resources, our gifts, our time, our families, our friends.

the concept of downsizing so that others might upgrade is biblical, beautiful... and nearly unheard of.

Mal 3:10 Test me in this.. and see if I will not... pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.

give liberally and be ungrudging when you do so, for on this account the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. Deut 15:10

God wants us to trust Him with abandon. He wants to show us how He works and cares for us. He wants to be our refuge.

Life is comfortable when you separate yourself from people who are different from you. But God doesnt call us to be comfortable. He calls us to trust Him so completely that we are unafraid to put ourselves in situations where we will be in trouble if He doesnt come through.

We are each given different gifts and talents by our master. The thing that matters most is how we use what we have been given, not how much we make or do compared to someone else. What matters is that we spend ourselves.
And now little children, abide in Him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from Him in shame at His coming. 1 john 2:28

No comments:

Post a Comment